South Muskoka Memorial Hospital was built on philanthropy – beginning with the generosity of Mr. E. Wadsworth who in 1929 donated $1,000 for the purchase of anesthetic equipment and bedside lamps. It would be one year later when Mr. Carl Borntraeger donated $1,600 to the hospital for a new x-ray machine in memory of his late son Carl who had been a summer resident of Lake Muskoka for over 30 years. These early pioneers of philanthropy helped build and shape the legacy of giving that South Muskoka Memorial Hospital is renowned for. Like our donors today, they realized that supporting the hospital is an investment in people and an investment in our future.
Where We Began: The History of the South Muskoka Hospital Foundation
Since its establishment in 1980, and through the generosity of the community, the Foundation has helped to fund three major capital campaigns for building renovations and has invested more than $55 million in equipment, facilities, and programs at the South Muskoka Memorial Hospital.
The South Muskoka Hospital Foundation is governed by a voluntary board of directors from our community. Funds are raised through major gift solicitation, mail appeals, special events, planned giving, memorial tribute giving, our annual radiothon and other fundraising activities.
Ex Officio MAHC CEO
New Team Member Coming Soon!
705.645.4404 ext. 3189